Saturday, November 27, 2010

Progress


After yesterday's epic relaxation, I woke up this morning with a will to win. Or, more specifically, a will to clean. I fired up the vacuum with its fresh, new HEPA filter and attacked the sunroom with a vengeance. Despite the fact that it's the nicest room in the house (it being sunny and all), and despite the fact that's it's where my desk and computer are, the sunroom tends to end up a catchall for things that I don't want to deal with right away, such as junk mail and bills. I'm well aware that this has a lot to do with financial anxiety, but so far my progress in that area has been minimal.

But today, I tackled the room from top to bottom and sorted through all kinds of paperwork. I even polished the desktop with old fashiond paste wax. It's a start.

When I was looking for an image of Carol Burnett's Charwoman character for my post, I started thinking about how when I had to write an essay in my first week at college, I said Carol Burnett was one of my heroes. Sure, I was eighteen and away from home for the first time, impressed with my own coolness. They could make me write an essay about heroes, but they couldn't make me take it seriously.

It occurs to me, though, that a person could do worse than choosing Carol Burnett as a hero. I loved watching the Carol Burnett Show. The cast came across as a group of friends having a hell of a good time. And they were so funny! No matter what was going on in my life or in the world, I could count on Carol Burnett to cheer me up. She didn't care how silly she looked, she just wanted to make people laugh.

The other night after dance class, I was talking to one of my friends who said she liked having me in class because I make her laugh at the end of a long workday. At the moment she was referring to my Happy Dance, which I had demonstrated during class -- and yes, it is very silly.

It's a start.

No comments: