Monday, November 15, 2010

Auntie Goes To The Opera


The Army Dude and I went to see Tosca at the Shubert Theatre in Boston yesterday afternoon. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that the Army Dude is a saint to sit through the opera with me, and you're wrong. He's the one who introduced me to the opera. Apparently, he became a fan when he was in Europe on Army business.

Tosca was fabulous. The costumes, the music, the lighting, the sets, the voices - all amazing. I find myself saying that a lot when I go to a theater event because it's really difficult to translate an experience like that into words. Which may explain why theater critics are so crabby all the time.

I can tell you a couple of things, though. One is that I have a little crush on Diego Torre, who sang the lead role of Cavaradossi. He's a wonderful actor with a voice that has to be heard to be believed.

The other is that I highly recommend going to a Sunday matinee. The average age of the audience is about a hundred and two. I can't remember the last time I felt so young.

No comments: