Thursday, March 03, 2011

Going To Great Lengths

This is my newest jewelry creation. It's a 36-inch chain with three different sizes of washers that I attached with jump rings. You can't really tell in the picture, but the chain has a slightly blackened finish. The necklace is very lightweight.




I was inspired by the necklaces I've been seeing in magazines and catalogs. (I believe the image on the left is from a Nordstrom ad; the one on the right is from the Femail Creations catalog.) I don't tend to wear a lot of long necklaces, but I liked the look so I thought it would be fun to take the idea and put my hardware spin on it.


I'm sort of proud of this little innovation. I put two clasps on the necklace and added a washer in between so I can double the necklace when I want to, but the washer is easily removed.

I also feel like the two clasps are less noticeable than one clasp and one jump ring would be, because of the symmetry. But maybe that's just me.