Sunday, August 22, 2010

Auntie Maria IS Auntie Mame


I'm still wondering what is the appropriate outfit to wear to my niece's wedding. I mean, I could wear something quiet and subdued and try to blend in with all the middle-aged matrons. Or, I could dress like Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame, which sounds like a lot more fun.

I was simply born to wear a black evening dress and laquered red lips. As Auntie Mame, I would carry an ultra-long cigarette holder and swan around exclaiming "Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" I already own plenty of jewelry to pile on for maximum jingling while I give people air kisses and advise them to "Live, live, live!"

I suggested this idea to my niece when we went wedding dress shopping the other day. I even showed her the perfect hat to crown my ensemble.

She was less than enthusiastic. I'm telling you, kids today have no imagination.