Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Where's Auntie: Jet-Lagged Edition

My first day in California.



My brother took me to the Griffith Observatory to get an overview of Los Angeles. I thought the building was really pretty, so I took this detail shot.


The southeast view from the observatory (so my brother tells me; I am directionally challenged).



The view to the north, with the San Gabriel mountains in the background.



We left the observatory and drove down to Hollywood. I think that in my mind I had it confused with Beverly Hills because I was surprised at how tacky Hollywood was. I mean that in a good way.

I enjoyed seeing Mann's Chinese Theater, where apparently they had a big opening last night for a scary movie starring Anthony Hopkins that I guarantee I will never see.


This is a random elephant on top of a building. I have no explanation for it, but I felt duty bound to share its coolness with you, gentle readers. You're welcome.


Speaking of cool, look whose star I found!


Also speaking of cool, my brother tells me that this very spot, on the corner of Silver Lake and Sunset, is the hipster center of the universe. I could feel myself becoming cooler by the moment while we were there, but alas, the effects are already wearing off.

In the afternoon, we went to a Mexican marketplace that had a plaza nearby where Mexican musicians and native dancers were performing. A guy was singing a song that appeared to be a cautionary tale about getting involved with a "hot woman" while his friends in native regalia filmed it to post on YouTube. I could not make this stuff up if I tried.






2 comments:

Mimi said...

Been there, did that, loved it! (Only got to see the Hollywood sign through a dense fog [or smog] the first time) Have fun you guys.

Anonymous said...

在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app , 在線真人聊天app