Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We Are ALL Busy: A Rant

I want to call a moratorium on using the phrase "I'm so busy" as an excuse for rude and selfish behavior. I'm thinking of the person who shows up without an appointment (that I have repreatedly asked him to make) and wants my help RIGHT NOW because he's "so busy." Never mind that I am answering a 6-line telephone, working on four spreadsheets on two computer screens, getting the boss' coffee, troubleshooting the fancy-pants moody photocopier, and carrying on a hilarious conversation with a friend via email about how she should break up with her boyfriend by posting it as her Facebook status.


I'm thinking of the friend who keeps making lunch dates and breaking them at the last minute because she's "so busy." Or the person who chronically shows up hours late for everything. Or the woman in the twelve items or less line at the grocery store who has 20 items and then keeps everyone waiting while she goes back for one more (she's in a rush). Or the people running stop signs all over town because they have somewhere to be.


Here's the thing: everyone's busy. Do you know anyone who isn't? I don't. For the love of God, just tell the truth: you overscheduled yourself; or you bought a PDA so you could get super-organized and you have no flippin' clue how to use it and lost all your PD; or you woke up with a four-alarm hangover this morning and getting to the point where you felt like you might live put you two hours behind; or you are truly, honestly sure that the world revolves around you, and if your every need is not catered to, the galaxy will explode.


Seriously. I don't want to hear that excuse again unless you really are a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest - in which case, I want to see the official ass-kicking contest rules, pictures of the event, and medals won, if any.


Rant over. I feel better now.

No comments: