Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Love Hard Work, But I Can Only Watch It Until 10 P.M.

I've been logging more couch time than usual this week because of the Olympics. I enjoy watching people in the pursuit of their athletic dreams, particularly if I can do it at home in my pajamas. I've been amazed as alpine skiiers wipe out, travel a couple hundred yards flat on their faces, and get up and walk away. It's all in a day's work for them. I have a hitch in my giddyap when I get up off the couch.

My only problem with the Olympics this year is the way NBC has scheduled the figure skating coverage. The network has this annoying way of showing one skating routine and then an hour of skeet shooting or whatever (with lots of teasers about more skating to come) and then a figure skater from Jamaica doing his or her stuff, followed by another hour of people cross-country skiing across the Canadian tundra with bows and arrows on their backs. By the time they show any skaters with possibilities of medal contention, I've seen a hundred Coca-Cola ads, I have snow blindness, and it's past my bedtime.

I appreciate the focus on Shani Davis and Apolo Ohno, the hotties of speed skating. But come on, NBC. Give me a little more of what I tune in for: illusion netting, sequins, and the Russians bitching if they don't win.

No comments: