Friday, August 12, 2011

Supposedly About Fall Fashion (But Really Just General Crankiness)



Lately, I feel like I'm living in a world gone mad -- to the point where I'm almost afraid to open my browser in the morning and see what the day's headlines are. At times like this, you'd think that reading fashion magazines and websites would be to my weary soul as chocolate is to PMS. But you would be wrong.

Maybe it's because I recently looked at a book about fashion from 1909-1939, in the introduction to which Diana Vreeland gushed about how "everyone" was chic and happy and full of fun until World War II came along and wrecked everything. Because, as everyone knows, World War I and the Great Depression were both freaking blasts.

These days, Vreeland's successors at Vogue are desperately begging people to buy something, anything, by basically throwing a lot of crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Which is fine, I guess, since it means there are lots of choices out there -- but most of them aren't very good choices.

Take the coat above, by Rick Owens. The style is timeless! You can see paintings from the Middle Ages where figures are wearing something similar, that's how timeless it is. And it will look ever-so-chic until... well, until December 26th, to be precise. And then you might haul it out of the back of the closet next year if you're invited to a Star Trek-themed Halloween party.

Or maybe I'm just cranky because last night on Project Runway the contestants were given the challenge to dress stiltwalkers (that would be performers who walk on stilts, not really tall hookers) and then those who made costumes -- as opposed to outfits for gigantic elderly secretaries -- were penalized.

I'm telling you, the world has become a crazy place.